12.14.2006

For the 10 Billionth Time, People are Stupid

I'm doing a good job of cutting and pasting from newspapers over the past couple days.

Here we take a look a USA Today poll from this week:

Fan poll:

Fifty-seven percent of baseball fans think Mark McGwire should be elected to the Hall of Fame, according to a USA TODAY-Gallup poll; 35% said he shouldn't, and 7% had no opinion.

McGwire's support in the poll of 423 baseball fans, conducted Dec. 8-10, is down 3% from a similar poll in August. Of those eligible for the Hall ballot for the first time this month, Cal Ripken Jr. (86%) fared best, followed by Tony Gwynn (58%), McGwire and Jose Canseco (48%).

In a recent Associated Press survey, 25% of baseball writers eligible to vote for the Hall said they'd vote for McGwire; a 75% total is necessary for election.

Sammy Sosa, who is not yet eligible for the Hall, received support from 63% of fans.

I don't think it's a huge surprise that the fans are leaning towards "yes" for Mac Wire. It definitely wouldn't be this high (57%) if you took a poll of media members (as shown above), since they love to hate the big guy. But from what I've seen and read, fans seem to be less outraged on letting Mac Wire into the Hall of Fame--maybe if they yelled louder, they'd be on tv too.

There are two things that surprise me here: the lesser of which is that 86% of the 423 baseball fans USA Today polled, would vote Cal Ripken, Jr into the Hall. Who are those other 14%?? Where did USA Today find them? I know that's pretty much 1 in 10 people, but what did Cal Ripken do to piss these people off? I could understand when the time comes, and Derek Jeter's name is on the ballot, of course there are going to be some Yankee haters (mostly in the New England area) who would vote no. Bill Simmons included. But Cal Ripken? Who are his enemies? Lou Gehrig's family? Manny Alexander? I don't get it, but it's no big deal compared to the other surprise.

Tony Gwynn. 58%.

Once again, it says 423 baseball fans. Not figure skating fans. Not Bravo Network fans. Baseball fans.

And 178 people say Tony Gwynn should not be elected into the Hall of Fame. If someone can explain this, please do so.

Frank Cusumano of 590 pointed this out on the air yesterday. I was stunned when he said 58% and had to find the article online just to make sure he didn't read the poll incorrectly. I'm still baffled by that figure and won't bother to explain why Gwynn should be in the Hall, because I'll be preaching to the choir here.

Especially because I know the choir is concerned at how much Yellow had to die to make that '83 Fleer rookie.

But I wanted to point out, once again, how stupid people can be, and I think the mission has been accomplished today.

As for the Sammy Sosa support, I'll pretend I didn't read that.

No comments: